Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Responding to past comments

Ahopeful-I haven't tried the permethrin blitz but I do know someone who beat the mites with Zodiac, which someone else in the comments had used. I think my cat has used flea collars with the other ingredient from Zodiac. The flea collars seem to help him a lot. It seems the mites adapt to pesticides quickly, so the best way would be to kill all of them at once as you did. If you still have pigeons nesting on the roof above, this needs to be taken care of to finish them off for good.

I've been considering buying a pesticide powder to see if it might help further. So far, the best thing has been a salt and borax powder mix that I have used on the carpets. This has worked so well that we have stopped vacuuming the carpet regularly and we have not used the ozone generator.

Someone in the comments was talking about treating the car. The best solution I have found is to have the car professionally vacuumed. Steam cleaning was $100 per cleaning, but a professional vacuuming was about $10 a time, so it is chemical free and it can be done often. If you vacuum it yourself you might pay $1, which is cheap. I put the seats in large plastic bags (so I sit on a big bagged seat) and lots of borax on the floors.

Recently a friend of mine who has struggled with mites for some time found that he probably had a squirrel living in his attic and mice living in his walls. Any treatment for these is likely not to work so long as you have some small animals or birds living in your building.

Never use a flea collar meant for a dog on a cat. Some dog collars contain Amitraz. While Amitraz is the most effective pesticide for chicken mites (and likely for other types), never use it for a cat.

Another friend who is struggling with them has found that Ortho Home Defense really helps. He sprays his house and car with it often, but the constant use of strong chemicals may not be very healthy.

I'm very glad to read about people getting rid of this! It gives me hope and makes me glad.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loviator, so glad you posted again and the mites haven't done away with you. I currently have my carpets covered in Borax and flea powder with Nylar, and it seems to be the best solution so far. I actually have had it down for a couple months now, as I'm afraid to vacuum it up. It stops the bites from the floor. Unfortunately, they seem to have infested my body, I can feel something deep in my left ear, and when they are active I feel activity there. Have you had problems with the mites going in your nose, ears, mouth, etc??

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the yahoo group birdmitesorg? There are a lot of people struggling with this, and many who have found solutions.

Anonymous said...

Loviator, I'm surprised that you're not using best yet by cedarcide more than you mentioned. I'm getting my car ready to sell and of course don't want even one egg to remain in the car. I've fogged it with best yet in the past and I always spray best yet in my personal sprayer when I drive the car. But I did something different this time and I wonder why I didn't think of it months ago. I poured best yet all over the driver side cloth seat ad carpeting and saturated it. I happen to have a good supply of best yet so wasn't worried about running out. I bought 8 gallons of best yet which helps with costs per gallon. I don't need to buy most of the products I used to spend money on. The car seat looked wet at first but by the next day its impossible to detect that anything was poured onto the seat and carpet. That car was so infested last november. 2008 before I fogged it with best yet that I was planning to set fire to it! Tonight ill fog it with best yet and run the air conditioner and heater to make sure the vents are cedarcided. I also wiped down all surfaces with best yet and it works better than armorall which isn't cheap either. Its non water solution and saline is used in fabric softeners. I would bathe in it its that safe. I spray it my ears and slater it on my face and eyes. I also use cedarcides insect repellent cream and its lovely on the skin and all natural. I slacked off on fogging the house because of the cold weather but will do that again soon. It helps so so so much to fog the house regularly. I still have the host which is my cat and I want to start her and I on ivermectin stromectal to get the bugs out of my skin. I was suicidal last november before I goy best yet and it saved my life by getting the bugs out of my environment so I wasn't taking bugs with me wherever I went and infesting work, car, etc. The other big thing that helped was drying my wash for two hours minimum on the most wicked hot hot dryers I can find at the laundrymat. I still do that every wash. It never ruined my clothes. I do not not not use bleach in my clothes anymore cos that ruins them!

Lady Nazh said...

Well our battle began sometime in early February. We believe we opened up our Bird Mite infestation by innocently clearing up all the over grown bushes, Ivy, and weeds. Within a few days I noticed around the window in our bathroom were these tiny bugs crawling the wall. I would spray hairspray (the closest thing near me) and it killed them but more would return within days. I then used a flying insect spray and they have yet to return. Then my husband and I began breaking out with sores and intense itching. After a trip to our Dr. we were told it was Scabies! Which was strange because it was only the 2 of us under attack in a house of 6. After using the cream we had relief but only for a few days so the Dr. said another treatment was required. It only worked briefly again. After that I turned to the internet for help and found the bird mites sites and went OH NO! Well we have tried the Borax, Epsom salt baths (they really help for me) Now also we both are having issues with coughing, feeling like we need to clear our throats a lot, and our heads itching intensely at night. We also have been able to catch them in the act when they bite a sensitive area and quickly douse them with hand sanitizer. Another symptom (I Think)is our scalp is extremely dry and flaky as well as our skin. We also have noticed around our mouths in the mornings a white crusty material and our noses get the creepy crawlies too. I have tried many of the suggestions and they seem to help but we still have them! I have found new suggestions on some other sites that I plan to try but I can tell you it can be frustrating and emotionally and financially draining. I am worried that our breathing problems can be leading to something more serious. Can anymore health problems cause any serious issues? We have really felt isolated because the sores cover my face, arms, and I am so embarrassed because I am afraid people will think the worst like we are on drugs or are just nasty and have poor hygiene. Please ANYONE out there with suggestions SEND THEM to me!

Lady Nazh said...

Ok after a brief breakdown this morning and a LONG prayer I decided I was ready to fight! I treated the yard,roof, and outer walls with Spectracide Triazicide. I also treated myself to a thorough rub down with Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy Eucalyptus & Spearmint as I massaged it in I noticed a combination of small black specks which I am sending to an Entomologist to see if they are dead mites and also black fibers? Most importantly I got some relief and it seems to have helped the sores heal up a little better. I have steamed the floors and used Boric Powder (Roach & Flea Killer) after they dried ( I have wood floors so I am hoping it gets into the cracks. I also washed the walls with orange oil cleaner. I will try to keep posting anything that seems to help. Oh the vapor rub in the nose and around my mouth and it worked! I also contacted my local Natural Health Store and they were wonderful! She is doing her own research for me! She suggested tea tree capsules and a parasite cleanse for the sinus and lung issues we are suffering. I have COPD so its really scaring me that that can invade the respitory system! I pray for everyone fighting this war! Please let me know of other suggestions.

TToon said...

Wow. This is driving me crazy. I go from falling apart to getting mad and fighting them. I have not really blasted the house yet and I think that is my next step. I've had 3 Pest Control guys in and they don't know how to treat this? To the vet tomorrow with my cat and dog. They are biting me like crazy and not my husband. Been at this for 5 weeks now and I DO NOT know how they got in the house. Here is a tip that has worked for me. Selson Blue with menthol in the hair. Leave on for 5 min. rinse follow with Organic Lanvender scented shampoo and cream rinse. They have at least stopped crawling in my head. Now for the nose: Get a "nettie pot" from health food store. Use noniodized salt, 1/4 tsp. to 1 cup of warm water. Dissolve well and follow directions. This has cleaned them out of my nose. I use a mixture of Kleen Green (by Natural Ginesis) with some water, peppermint oil and believe it or not Tom's natural mouthwash with peppermint. I have had success with keeping the biting off for expended times.I spray on after showers and before bed. It has helped. But, I really need to blast the house with something. I have two cats and two dogs and don't want to kill them in the process. I have used Cedarcide and like it, but I think I should have purchased the fogger and 10 gallons of the stuff. I bought something from Australia and am waiting for that. It is supposed to be very effective against bird mites. I'm glad to be able to talk to others experiencing this plague. My prayers to all.

TToon said...

Loviator,
How did your friend use the Zodiac? Was it a spray, powder, how much and where was it applied?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Wow am I happy to have found this site. We just identified the biting as Rodent Mites. We've heard the rodents in the attic and have actually seen a large Raccoon crawling up there too.

I am getting eaten alive. I hadn't thought that it was as bad as it was because it just started this Spring coinciding with our new upstairs "neighbors." We thought it was mosquitos. (Which we also have, and midges which we also have, and biting flies, which we also have!)

Anyway - I'll start trying all of these things. I've seen one of the mites and it was black and the bite pattern isn't consistent with scabies. (Thankfully!)
Our landlord is getting rid of the rodents and so now we just have to detox ourselves and our bedroom I guess.

We have a dog - was wondering if all of these methods were safe for non-human animals as well?

Anonymous said...

I suffered with these creatures for over a year until recently finding relief with Seabuckthorn oil & a product called Facedoctor. I tried everything else I read about in a desperate attempt to get my life back- Nothing worked & I was affraid I was doomed with this forever.
It's been several weeks & I'm finally back to normal again! I'm now sleeping well & climbing out of a depression that was deaper than I realized.
I simply wanted to share with other sufferers something that actually worked for me- I trully hope this helps others out there-

Seabuckthorn is a natural plant & facedoctor is a soap made with it.
I'm not endorsing any product - please google seabuckthorn mites & find out more for yourself before continuing to expose yourself to other toxic products

TToon said...

Thank you for the tip. I will try. I have been using Cedarcide as a lotion and it is helping and Rapha Remedy with peppermint is helping also. I found a PCO that seems to know how to deal with these. They found 6 nests in the attic and cleaned them out, steamed and treated the attic and are now treating the house and I have reduced the numbers of these creatures greatly. The Cedarcide keeps them off of me, but does not smell the best. I work from my home and that helps with that part of it. However, right now I can say I am feeling relief from this. If you attack these very agressively and do not give up, as I almost have, you will start to see the light of day. One of the first things, besides praying a lot, was to stop reading the negative reports it will only send you in to depression. There are some out there that have eliminated these things and it is not easy. www.espbotanicals.com helped me as well and I do not sell or endorse any product and I am not a salesperson at all, but I purchased the set that you can buy from this company specifically for the problems discussed on the skin. One of my bites turned infected and I fought hard to clear it up. It is gone now. I tried the Epson salt rinse and got sick from it. It did keep the bugs off, but made me sick. Keep up the good fight.

TToon said...

To anonymus who used the SeaBuckthorn oil. What company did you purchase from and how did you use it? Straight from bottle, a lotion?
Thanks

Ahopeful said...

Hmm. They seem to be back again. I had about 8 months clear after my permethrin flea spray solution but has been a gradual increase in last few weeks. Have doused whole place again with the spray but worry they will now all be immune!? What then!?

Strikes me that many of of us will have have different types of mite infesting us. For some they have more infested people, for some less. I wonder If there is one solution.

I think I'm the only UK sufferer which is kind of depressing in a way. Totally not a known about problem here, and people think I am actually mad if I mention it. How fragile the sense of sanity we have for each other etc etc!

It makes me very angry that this patently real problem is not recognised by the medical community or pest officers (in the UK at least).

From the length of time I have been affected I can only assume that whatever mite is getting me (and i am not sure if I have ever seen it! In YEARS! There was this one time a tiny little white thing that jumped away but what where do they go..?) has adpated to me as a host somehow, although I think they live in my room hence when I sprayed the insecticide they couldn't survive well.

I just don't buy into these essential oil solutions. Well tea tree oil had was of little help for me. Most of the products suggested are only available in the states as far as I can tell.

In short, I'm fed up!

TToon said...

Ahopeful,
Have you tried Pestene? It is from UK.

Ahopeful said...

@GrandmaM
No I haven't tried that - It is avail in Australia but perhaps I could order it (advocated on http://www.birdmites.org/forum.html).

My last high dose of permethrin based spray seems to be working fairly well. Did my whole room and all clothes 5 days ago and again the room 3 days ago. Seems the numbers are much reduced and fingers crossed as they, presumebly, crawl around on floor, bed and clothes they should die (the spray is designed to be active stay on carpet - for fleas - for 3 months).

I'm not completely convinced I have bird mites - perhaps some relation though as I have never seen them. And my research suggests they should be visible to the naked eye like pepper. Maybe they are just not in high enough number? Do other people see them regualrly? Some people apparantly do.

I will take stock and see. Pestene, which is not permethrin based, would be a nice idea as it's active ingredient is wholly different and the mites will have no immunity (if indeed they have been developing it to permethrin, which I cannot be sure). That said it not great for people to be close to but the same is arguably true for permethrin.

GrandmaM, suggest you try an indoor permethrin based flea spray as well - it does help hugely, as to whether it can solve the problem permanently I'm not sure. You need to use way more than it recommends.

@Seabuckthorne Oil
How did you use this? Washing daily? As a spray?

TToon said...

Ahopeful,
Thanks for the tip and I will try the spray you suggest as my next tactic. A light misting of Epson salt water (do not rinse) does keep them off of me. cheap fix. I think I made it too strong before. 20 Mule Team helps in carpet. I have never seen these things crawling around. They seem to fit the typical description of bird/fowl mite from what I have read. The numbers in our house are reduced at this time, though. I read on birdmite.org about the Pestene. Straight Apple Cider Vinegar kills them on the body-keep some handy with cotton ball and as if you feel a bite hit that area to kill the bugger. The Best Yet by Cedarcide does work. But, you have to use a lot of it and it is not cheap. I ordered the seabuckthorn oil and have not received it as yet. So, will let you know if this helps at all. I am pretty concerned about my pets right now. Maybe a flea powder would work?

Lady Nazh said...

I wanted to comment on those with dogs and cats, Our vet recommended bathing them in regular Dawn dishwashing soap and a Flea Collar. they can actually make things worse by bringing the mites in from outside!!! I also use flea and tick powder and if you have an indoor Bird MAKE SURE YOU use a cage preventer that attaches to the outside of the cage or they will be under attack too and even be the source of trouble!!!

Lady Nazh said...

I lost my long, well thought out post on whats been working for us so I will retype in a bit!!!! I NEED A BREAK!!!!

Lady Nazh said...

OKAY HERE GOES>>>>> AGAIN!!

What i wanted to say is we had almost a month of relief and THEY ARE BACK!!!!
More importantly I wanted to tell you what we did to get relief!!! What works for one may not work for all because we ALL have different situations in which these mites can thrive! I know I am a triple threat due to having a bird, 2 cats that refuse to be kept in the house, one outside dog, and 2 inside dogs. I love sweets(Which one site suggested makes us taste good) it also stated they also seem to love people in poor- fair health, which again....describe me!!!

OK now to the "helpful ideas"
From the very helpful science teacher, they come in three known types for sure: bird,chicken, and rodent. They require vigorous cleaning and vacuuming. Also a very good steamer is a great tool because the steam WILL KILL them! He also said the reason most in the medical community do not understand the issue is they don't hunt wild fowl ( he says if you were a duck hunter, you could lift the wing you can see them) and not many Drs. grow up on the farm anymore or they would have some experience with these ithcy offenders. Mites must be like cock roaches!!!! They will live beyond our years!!!

Ok The Farmers coop said to use Cypermethrin inside (found in several home foggers) and a product called 38. The important lesson I've learned: clearing up does not mean the battle is over! THEY WILL COME BACK!!! Treat the inside at least every 7-10 days with the foggers to get any hatching eggs. Treat the yard weekly also. Oh! Try to fog at night or on a cloudy,damp day when they are active.

OK The health food store! (my best relief, I think?)
For about $70.00 she had a package together for me which included:
Tea Tree oil- Many uses, add to all liquid soap items like shampoo,body wash, and hand soap. You only need a few drops, It's potent! You can also add to your Nettie Pot (which is a great tool for cleaning the sinuses)AGAIN only a drop will do!
Mites Away Spray- GREAT! It's a spray containing NEEM oil. The great thing is you can use on walls, furniture, bedding, and floors. I spritzed my pillows and let dry right before bed.
ParaGone 2 step cleanse- this is an on 15 days and rest 5 days. I didn't have any noticeable side effects that you would associate with a cleanse product (example:no stomach problems) and I felt great, by the 3rd day all sores which were there for weeks began to heal. I really believe if I wasn't so stubborn and KEPT usng this product I would STILL be clear. Makes you wonder if these mites don't live inside the body? Maybe the intestinal tract? Or maybe it disrupts the scent that mites thrive to.?

Another trick I tried is to use a black light to detect them. You can place a pan of hot water on the floor of the room you suspect and leave the room for an hour or longer, you are supposed to be able to see them using the black light. I haven't tried since I cleared up last time. I plan to use it tonight. It seemed to help calm my brain as I was clearing up last time. Because I couldn't detect anything on me or in the water.

The main help: Finding people to talk to. The most dangerous symptom of all is depression. I really went to a lonely dark place, so afraid to be judged by others.When i finally told my friends what I was going through, they were helpful and relived. They took my isolation as if I was no longer wanting their friendship!!!! Some even offered to help clean which I declined expressing my fear of passing these critters to others. We all need to continue helping each other with our tips and tricks. From what I understand until you completely rid the main cause (rats,birds,nests, and whop knows what else) they will return. The best defense is to stick together and maybe someone will find the miracle cure!!!

Prayer to ALL!!!!

Lady Nazh said...

Yes for pets you can use Hartz Flea and Tick powder. They make one for dogs and one for cats. Also bathing them in Dawn WITHOUT bleach, original formula ONLY!!!!! Another suggestion would be to spray them with a solution of olive oil and water in a spray bottle. I have used the powder and the Dawn washing with good results. Good Luck!

Ahopeful said...

Of interest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgvl0Nco6nc&feature=channel_page

Also have a look here?

http://www.naturalginesis.com/info_bitingmites.html

I haven't tried it but it is the enzyme the guy in the video mentions.

Obviously my permethrin solution was not a permanent as I hade hoped! However it does knock them back.

Hope you're ok then!

Sherri said...

We've been infested with invisible demons from hell for a long time - total of 4.5 years, but "only" unbearable for 7 months. I am wellness challenged and do not have the stamina for the arduous protocols that seem to help many. Just spraying the bed and myself several times a day/night is more than I can really handle. We have used mite killers, an exterminator three times who was useless, used six gallons of cedarcide with the expensive fogger, a gallon of the yardsafe (also cedarcide) and the pet cedarcide all to no avail (total cost over $850)- we fogged the attic crawl space, under the house and inside the house thoroughly - they stay away for 2 or 3 days and then they are back (we used the full routine 3 days apart as they recommended).

I use tea tree oil (straight, no dilution) on myself and my bed - usually helps some; I've used cedarcide on myself and the bed (they bite through and crawl right over the stuff), have used orange oil (they went sunbathing and wore their water-wings) and one kind of repellant that works okay but smells awful. I can see how people are driven to suicide - I am the only one they bite, (although they started crawling on my husband's head a few weeks ago) and crawl all over constantly (yes, they invade my ears, nose, eyes and lips - got two bites on my lip edge yesterday and a bite in my nose a few days ago) and I feel like I'm living in a horror movie.

I have a 7 month old grandson who I've seen twice (both before the infestation got bad) and who I can't go see and who can't come see me because of these things.

Is Borax safe for my cats to walk on? And I don't really see the epsom salts disolving - it sort of just sinks in the water - any suggestions as to how you get it to disolve? How do you put it in a sprayer? I'm going to try a few more things I read about here, but I have to say I'm not very hopeful anymore.

TToon said...

I thought we had bird mites. We treated for it and paid $1,000 to exterminator. Nothing. Then I found a comment on a blog from someone who got rid of their infestation after 4 years. The Cheyletiella Mite which is found on rabbits, cats and dogs will effect humans as well and invade your home. Yes, it does get in your nose, eyes, ears. I did notice some "dandruff" looking stuff on one of my cats, but being 10 years old I thought maybe he had a skin condition. No, that mite is also known as the "Walking Dandruff" mite. Dr. Alice Jeromin has a few really good articles on this subject on the internet and most vets do not know about this or how to treat properly. Dr. Jeromin says that they have become an epidemic in their practice. They see more Cheyletiella mites than they do fleas. I took my cat (we have 2 dogs 2 cats) to a vet..after searching and searching for one close to us that knew anything about this mit...they did a lice comb thru his fur and looked under microscope and identified this mite. When I got home that night I took a bright light and looked at one of my dog's fur..Yes, dandruff and lots of it. The treatment is Revolution and the spray they recommend for the house is "Knock Out". If you find Dr. Jeromin's articles you will find the protecol. Your vet can even fax her for information on what to do. Her office is in Richfield Ohio. Use a misting of Epsom salt water on yourself after the shower it really helps. I bought a steam carpet cleaner and this helps greatly. It takes three treatments for the animals every two weeks to knock this out. And they do keep scratching even after first treatment, Dr. Jeromin's office told me that was normal. The bugs are mad! I used a salt scrub from dead sea to get them off of me and using a Dead Sea mud mask all over yourself (not the face) really kills them off. Leave on for only 5 min. and rinse. I let a wild kitten in the house over the winter and it was scratching...I think that is how this mite got into our house.

TToon said...

Oh, I forgot to say that they are host specific (Cheyletiella mite) or known as Walking Dandruff. One of my dogs has it worse than the other one and the cats same thing ... and lucky me and not my husband. He gets some crawling but never a bite. With the correct treatment you can get rid of this mite. You will not "see" the mite on you and in some cases you will not see it on your pets. There are a few ways the vet can diagnose. Just know that cat combings can be negative 58% of the time. Check this out, you may not have bird mites.

Loviatar said...

Borax is safe for your cat to walk over, just don't get it in his food or water. I'm not sure if it was the salt or Borax that made our cat sick. It's perfectly fine in the carpet and doesn't bother the cat even when he grooms.

Loviatar said...

In order to dissolve the epsom salt in water, use no more than 1 part epsom salt to two parts water. Use the hot water from the tap, put it in a bottle, close the bottle and shake it really vigorously. The salt should disappear soon. Then, pour the contents into a squirt bottle (we used the Cedarcide squirt bottles) and you can spray your bed, carpet, walls, etc. It works well. We haven't used this method since last summer, but it helps a lot. We've had a lot of other methods going.

A friend of mine found bird nests in almost all his building windows with over 100 eggs. The mites were present in each room with a "bird window" and not in rooms without birds. His house is in a grassy field with lots of birds and mice. I suspect it is the Red Mite, or Chicken Mite for him as they are often too small to see and they can live on both of these host groups.

Rosamond said...

My case of mites started 7 months ago. Once I was beyond the highly infectious stage, I was able to keep them at bay through diet. I understand I am not out of the woods yet and may never be from reading others’ posts, but I’d still like to share my story. I’m not exactly certain of the source of the mites, but perhaps my doggie brought them into the house from playing in the ivy in a home I had recently moved to in Connecticut. My vet treated my dog with ivermectin and then I put her on revolution. My doctor prescribed permethrin cream for me which had no lasting effect and damaged my skin. I then tried malthion which worked better than permethrin however I didn’t have enough to go head to toe and they swarmed to my feet. I then pestered my doctor for ivermectin which got me through my most infectious stage. I only ever saw a mite once in the beginning stage that blew off my dog into the wind almost like it was the exoskeleton of a dead one, so I was never able to get a mite diagnosis. My spouse and daughter were not affected. Months later a scraping from the crown of my scalp grew candida parasylosis where I once had a mite borough, so I believe that with mites came fungus, but my doctor purports that it is just a scalp problem. Yet it doesn’t explain the cigar shaped lesions that would appear rather symmetrically on parts of my body and the tiny bites on my torso that I incurred from the onset. Anyway, I am now treating the fungus with ketconazole shampoo. Before discovering the fungus, I bought a face cream and eyelash gel from China with 2% metronidazole that helped stop the crawling. I shaved everything but my head even my eyebrows. I bathed daily in borax. I took an oral, liquid form of borax (boron mineral) that I purchased from a health store. I ate 1 teaspoon of diatomaceous earth each day with food. Boron and diatomaceous may inhibit the ability of mites to populate. Some supplements I take are: garlic, msm, b2, oregano, and neem. In my infectious stage I used tea tree, castor, poke, neem, cedar, orange, sea buckthorn and 190 proof everclear alcohol for topicals because I read that I should rotate products. I also bought an anti-demodex lotion and antifungus bar soap from China. I got a washing machine with the sanitizing feature. Like others I cleaned everything vigilantly with borax, but I never fogged. While I was making a little progress, I continued to get an occasional lesion and feel some crawling. I read that diet can keep mites and fungus at bay, so I though what have I got to lose. Actually, this diet can cause significant weight loss which can cause people to worry about you and some days I feel fatigued, but it is far better than being itchy and brain fogged. Anti candida and anti mite diets are quite similar and anti candida diets are freely available on the Web. The key is 0 carbs, no bread, rice, oats, millet, fruit, or sweet veggies like carrots. I take psyllium husk to keep regular, plus I eat lots of cabbage and other low carb veggies. For protein I eat lots of eggs and some fish, chicken and red meat. I’ve added in goat yogurt these days. Lately, I’m not as concerned about keeping others at arm’s length and am no longer considering throwing myself under a bus, so that’s good. I’d like to move off of the diet, but I’ve cheated a couple of times with unfavorable results and am starting to think this might be my lifelong meal plan. Thank you for reading my story and I hope there is something nuggety in it for you. I really benefited from reading your posts/comments and will check back occasionally.

Deebs said...

It makes me so sad to hear of others continuing to struggle with these parasites. My own experience with bird mites started in 1995 and took until 2001 to completely erradicate. What a miserable time that was! No comfy furniture, sleeping on plastic air mattresses, boiling my sheets and nightgowns. One of the most damaging things was the loss of my credibility -- because my husband wasn't affected, hardly anyone believed me.
I had two pieces of very good fortune: a pest control company identified the pest as Northern Fowl mites right in the beginning and after the first two years I found a doctor (from South Africa) who not only believed me (after seeing probably 20 who didn't) but knew enough to prescribe Flagyl (metronidazole) tablets to kill the ones that were colonizing me. They were in my eyes and ears, which was the catalyst for trying to get help from one more doctor. I was lucky to find one who had something to offer.
What worked for me was: 1) sulphur mixed with vaseline on my skin, 2) boiling clothing and sheets, 3) Sevin powder, liberally and frequently applied everywhere, 4) continued dosing with Flagyl, off and on for 4 years, and 5) Ivermectin sprayed on my dogs. Plus we ripped up all the carpeting and threw out every piece of upholstered furniture. Mattresses we powdered with Sevin and then covered with zippered plastic. It took a long time, but we finally erradicated everything in the house. It was without a doubt the darkest time in my life. I'm very grateful to have gotten through it -- I came way too close to taking my own life in some of the bleaker moments.
If this information is useful to someone, I'll be very happy. Good luck to all of you.

Catyanna said...

I am really glad I found this website. I am at my wits ends. A few months ago, I discovered that we have tropical rat mites. I thought at first it was bed bugs, but got some glue traps and a pest guy analyzed them and confirmed the mites. I have used Kleen Green which is great for the itching. I spray it on everything. I'm still getting bit though and so are my cats. I tried Revolution, but now they are itching again. I heard that it should be used every 2 weeks to make sure you break their life cycle and kill the eggs. My poor babies have a skin allergy from it now too. I can feel them crawling in my hair, nose, ears and they other areas. I shower at least twice a day and then spray myself with the Kleen Green. I spray the bedding before I go to bed too. I try to wash the linens every day, but share the washer with other tenants. I have bagged my clothing and put shoes in bins. I vacuum every other day and use a handheld steam cleaner for the walls, etc. I was told we don't have rats. I haven't seen them anywhere. I am spending so much money on these stupid things. I've actually gotten rid of clothes and furniture because I don't know where they are hiding. I keep reading about borax? Is that safe for cats? I bought some diamectous earth, but I've been reading that it is unsafe for cats. I do not know what to do. My vet said he wasn't familiar with this type of mite either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for listening.

Get Rid of Bed Bugs said...

I think, don't depend upon DIY practices and hire the services of any pest control organization to get rid of your problem.

Li said...

Thank you. Very useful