Always follow label directions when using pesticides, if you have doubts or questions, discuss them with a qualified veterinarian or a pest control operator.
Our cat got sick again recently when I was taking care of our environment, vacuuming and then powdering our apartment. He really likes to stay in corners and on the edges of the room--places that I was treating with pesticide dust in order to kill the mites that sought shelter or wanted on the walls (along with the salt and borax sprinkled all over the floor--this time, I made sure the borax mix didn't get in his food or water).
So, I was convinced that he sat in the corner as he always does when we prepare for bed and then groomed himself--licking up the pesticide dust. He looked lethargic and depressed and vomited. Apparently the pesticide's active ingredient is only mildly toxic but due to a cat's small/poorly functioning liver, cat's are the most sensitive species to pesticide dust.
I vacuumed the pesticide dust and replaced it with Sergeant's Nature's Guardian carpet powder. This powder is even more pet safe than most flea powders marked for cats, so I knew my cat could still rest in the corners and he'd be fine.
If your cat gets a mild poisoning from pesticides, remove the pesticide from the environment, do not apply again. If it is in the cat's coat, wash the cat with non-flea cat shampoo (flea shampoo gives him more poisons to deal with). Give him plenty of water to work the stuff out of his system. Our cat vomited out the poison on his own. It is also a good idea to call a vet. Different poisons have different procedures. You could kill your cat with non-cat flea products--dog flea products often result in the death of a cat. I learned my lesson. I think that Nature's Guardian flea powder is probably the safest for both us and the cat.
One thing we tried was Sergeant's Nature's Guardian spot treatment for cats (putting it on the back of the neck). It is composed of essential oils and is not toxic to cats. The package said that a heavily flea infested environment may require more than one treatment during a month and it was safe to put the stuff on the cat several times a month, although a maintenance dose was once a month. After about three days, the cat was itchy again. Apparently the stuff only worked as long as it was drying into the coat (which makes the cat look greasy and scruffy--he is a long haired cat). So, this product did not work well for bird mites.
I also tried Nature's Guardian cat spray (you spray it all over the coat). It had the same results, plus the cat was very irritated at the spraying noise which is similar to a mother cat hissing.
According to the Nature's Guardian website all their products are the same for cats and dogs except the spot-on treatment for dogs has more of the substance than that for the cats. It says on the website that if you accidentally use the spot-on meant for a dog on a cat, the cat is safe, it's just extra greasy. So, it is safe to buy the powder and sprays from the dog aisle for a cat, just avoid using the dog spot-on on the cat (in any case, the spot-ons don't seem to work well for this line of products against bird mites). The two things I recommend buying that are Nature's Guardian are the carpet powder and carpet/furniture spray that works like an aerosol. Both of these are to treat the environment and are not intended to be applied to the cat itself. This is unusual for a flea product, to be interchangeable and safe for both cat's and dogs.
Today, I went to the vet and got him ivermectin (Heartgard-$35 for six doses in "kitty treat" form for one dose a month--also available for dogs, follow weight and species specific labeling). I used to take ivermectin myself during a time of high bird mite infestation. Even though the birdmites.org site says that it is not effective in killing the mites or is ineffective in preventing bites, my wife and I found that the mites did not like us at all when we were on ivermectin. We stopped treating ourselves in this way as it cost about $100 every month and the doctor said that it had never been tested on humans for such a long time, usually humans only take one or two doses in their entire life for scabies or lice. When my wife had blood work done, I was nervous about her liver and kidney function, but they were normal. Of course, cats and dogs can take a specified dose each month with no problem, it's just that it is not labeled for humans to use it in this way.
Heartgard is given cats to prevent heartworm. Heartworm is carried by mosquitoes and allows for a round worm to lodge itself in the lungs or heart of the cat. Heartworm can be deadly to cats. Ivermectin apparently can kill mosquitoes and roundworms. So all you need to do is go into the vet's office, tell the receptionist you would like to prevent heartworm in your cat and that you would like to buy some Heartgard.
The Heartgard can be bought in six doses a package (one dose per month) and can be used at the same time as Frontline. I also purchased some Frontline from a pet shop and will use it if the cat gets itchy again. A spot-on type product helped the cat get through last summer without itching to death.
I found that the cheaper spot-on treatments were not effective against mites last summer. The lady at the pet store took the three months of doses of Frontline from inside a locked cabinet and it cost about $70.
This is different for the Nature's Guardian essential oil spot-on. The package asks that you not use more than one flea treatment at one time, but the lady at the pet shop said that the cat should be fine if we washed it with a non-flea cat bath before applying the chemical pesticide. Nature's Guardian appears to be the least toxic spot-on, but as I said, it doesn't work well against mites. Of course, use your best judgement and ask a vet if you have questions concerning the dangers to your cats from different treatments.
Of course, if the cat gets into a poison and you need your vet's help, tell her exactly what the cat ate and if possible tell her the name of the product and the active ingredient in the product. She needs this info to save your cat.
When I went to the pet shop, the lady was skeptical that an indoor cat would have fleas, so I told her that we are being bitten by something and the cat is super itchy--this description sounds like it could be fleas, but it is also true for these mites. If you tell them you and your cat have a bird mite problem, they will look at you like you're from outer space and may be unlikely to cooperate in purchasing flea products. In any case, if fleas or heartworms decide to cross your cat's path, you will have done plenty to prevent them--prevention is a perfectly legitimate and on-label use of these products. In the mean time, hopefully they're helping you with bird mites--incidentally.
If you actually take your cat to see the vet, you can explain that you believe he has mites and tell him you are also affected. Many vets are familiar with mite problems and they may help you identify your mite if you do not know the original host. A knowledgeable vet may be your best bet at identifying the problem. It may be a mite problem specific to cats or dogs such as sarcoptic mites (scabies/mange), cheyletiella (walking dandruff mites), or some other external parasite that the vet knows and can treat. The treatment for many cat external parasites is similar to fleas, although the mites will show more immunity to chemical treatments than fleas would. Vets have a number of methods for obtaining samples of external parasites from a cat's coat and can analyze what they find.
It seems the Heartgard is working at the moment as the cat is not scratching or trying to eat something out of its fur, which it does when mites are attacking him. I am curious to see if he will be OK the entire month till the next dose. If not, I am prepared with Frontline. If this doesn't work, I'll look into something else. In any case, he seems very happy and purry with Nature's Guardian powder along the walls and salt and borax on the floors. I brushed him today and played with him--a happy healthy cat.
Thursday, July 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
My kitty is doing just with on this: Give your cat Revolution every month - better than Heartguard. Your vet will probably price match with the cheapest price you can in online. In addition, give your cat some kind of Enzyme powder with cranberry - mix it with their food. And cat litter deodorizer is great, too. Mites do not like anything like talcum powder.
Forget about your carpets - just don't vaccuum or get other flooring. You can take animal Ivermectin - 1cc or 1ml per 110 lbs. weight. It's cheap at calvetsupply.com. You have to measure with a syringe and mix with a small amount of juice.
NEVER tell your doctor, or anyone else you know about the mites. They'll just think you're crazy! Trust me, no one will know what's going on. They all think it's allergies. I did at first, too, until I discovered I had two bird nests around my home, which I had removed. Once these things are out of the box, there's no putting them back - just go out and enjoy your life!
I've been reading your blog for the past year - keep up the great work and hang in there!
I, as I see, am not alone when it comes to having the
displeasure of being plagued by these little devils. I had our mites verified
by 3 different entomologists as Demanyssus Gallinae. Remember if you want to
effectively treat these appropriately, contact a university or county extension
office to have them properly identified (For Free). Even if you don’t
have the time or energy to drop these off you can use clear tape and tape the
areas when you feel them crawl and send those specimens into the county extension
office or a university that specializes in entomology. While my story is
somewhat the same as everyone else’s, I had tried all the remedies I
could afford and was beginning to lose hope. I have contacted over 20
different veterinary schools and several different entomologists. While I
mostly had the same repeated textbook response every time, it wasn’t
until I looked into thermal remediation that I realized this could be the key
to eradicating these pests. Unfortunately after calling several pest control
companies I found that these services weren’t available to me and
financially fumigation was not an option. The nice man whom I spoke with at the
pest control place came up with a plan that seems to be working. He knew I
could not afford to have an exterminator come out and I also was concerned
about any residual chemicals. He offered me some advice which for the time
being has been the most effective advice that any one could ever offer me
concerning these things. Bird mites can only withstand temperatures up to 130
degrees. His solution was that we have all the carpeting professionally
cleaned in the house as the steam that comes out of carpet cleaners is above
200 degrees which will effectively kill the mites and their eggs. It costs
around $90 bucks to do this( for 600 sq feet of carpeting and furniture). These
professional carpet cleaners also have different wand attachments where they
can steam clean just about anything that isn’t damaged by water. They
also make different hand held steam cleaners by Haan ($60) that heat water to
212 degrees, perfect for cracks and crevices, CLOTHING. . If any of these
options aren’t available cost wise, Ironing on full steam will work well
for carpeted areas as long as you use a barrier like a towel between the iron
and the carpet so as not to melt the carpet fibers. It is very time consuming,
but if your like me I was willing to try just about anything aside from dousing
my whole house and body with kerosene and striking a match. As for any bedding
I Ironed (on full steam) my entire king size bed (for approx. an hour) with the
sheet on it and ironed my comforter as well. For the first night in weeks I
slept like a baby. Microwaving clothes for 30 seconds on high also seems to
nuke these bugs. If you do choose to microwave your clothes please be sure your
microwave is clean so as to not start a fire and also make sure no metal
buttons or zippers are showing. If you have any pets, we have a 14 yr old cat
which seemed to be re-infesting us, we treated her with frontline (per
entomologists advice) and it seemed to kill the ones that were biting her. I
hate using chemicals on my pets, but when it comes down to it she was miserable
and your pets can become anemic very quickly when they are heavily infested. If
your miserable, your pet is that much more miserable as they are defenseless
when it comes to these things and they cannot bathe all the time to alleviate
or eradicate these things like we can. A lady at the feed store said she had
purchased some infested hay and bird mites almost killed her baby goats from
anemia. Please don’t do anything crazy to your pets to try and kill the
mites on them. Cat’s especially, can be killed by essential oils or
creams that are deemed safe for humans. There is light at the end of the
tunnel. Don’t lose hope.
By the way the comment above is something I am posting everywhere. I know how it feels to be plagued by the mites. We did discuss this with our doctor and he would have actually prescribed us the Ivermectin although he said we'd have a hard time finding a pharmacy that carried it and there was several side effects. We have been using coconut oil and that kills most parasites. We are having success in our battle. Birdmites.org administrator doesn't have a valid e-mail so I am kinda ticked that I can't give these poor people some hope.
Hi. I would love your opinion if possible...here is my situation. Just returned from two weeks in Italy at lake Garda. We stayed in an old but very clean and totally renovated villa. 10 days in, I spent the night getting eaten alive. It had gotten very hot and humid so I assumed it was Mosquitos. The next day when I saw the extent of the damage, I was horrified. Over 100 bites: feet, calves, hands, arms, and back-basically anywhere I did not have clothing. They were extremely itchy and now a week layer are slightly improved. They look like poison ivy bubbles, but are singular bites that don't spread if they open up. No one else in my family was affected: some have a few bites but never got itchy. We were at the villa for five nights after this and I slept in a different room and seemed to do better. We own a hotel ourselves so we know how to spot bed bugs and found no sign. Whatever bit me was invisible to me! I washed all our clothes and bags when we returned and take very hot soapy showers followed by an ice cold rinse and seem to be improving. So my question for you is: do you think it was rat mites and if so am I in the clear since this did not happen in my home?
Syvertsens,
It could have been bird or rat mites. They often choose one person in a family to attack. It has to do with pheromones. This is more common with rat mites, the selectivity, but can be with bird mites as well.
If you are getting new bites, you probably have whatever did it with you and you took it home. If the bites are healing and there are no new bites, you probably got rid of them. Make sure to use a cup of borax in your laundry. If they infest the environment, use a fertilizer duster to spread borax on all carpets. You can use flea powders along the edges of the room and corners or pour borax along the edges.
Tea tree shampoo kills mites in the hair, as well as head and shoulders (the one with mint/menthol adds a repellant). Use Dial anti-bacterial soap (with aloe is good).
Put a ring of vasseline on your ankles after the shower. Spray yourself and your bed with Cedarcide (order it from Texas on the net) before bed or if bothered during the day.
Put our rodent traps/poison, look for signs of rodents or birds in attics, crawl spaces (instructions on net). Vertibrate pest control companies can help do an exclusion/abatement for both birds and rodents. Old houses are much more challenging.
Also, look in bushes and trees near your house. Remove branches touching the house or bushes near the house, mow the lawn once a week, make sure wood piles are one or two feet off the ground and not close to house. Squirrels, chipmonks, mice, and rats may be sources of infestation.
Hi,
I found the address hard to find but there are hundreds of sufferes discussing solutions at the yahoo birdsmite group:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/birdmitesorg/
Some have reported success with the powder Roach prufe. I'm Currently using thios plus some proper insecticides, bifen, cyonara, nylar in a pesticide sprayer, along with borax and hydrogen peroxide in every wash. Combines with daily bathing with borax, sepsom salts and essential oils I feel I am getting on top of this. I now use an airmattress.
I think, don't depend upon DIY practices and hire the services of any pest control organization to get rid of your problem.
HUGE BREAKTHRU
Citrus Solvent (gel) formula.
YES.Ive had these symptoms mentioned here...for over a YEAR.
There was a bird nest and a sqirrels nest. yes, they are also on my cat!
Citrus solvent destroys them!
They seemed to remain at all places I sit or sleep...at my keyboard at work and home and in my car.
Spray a small amouint on all door handles and light swicthes.
Spray all keybords lightly. Wipe ofexcess. Use small amounts as the residue will spread over time.This ends up following them everywhere you go...it spreads as you touch all the nsame things each day.
Put a small amouint of cirus solvent on yout hands and work into the steering wheel of your car.
Remove bedding and saturate spray the bed frame.Always wipe off most of the nexcess.
Nevr go barefoot especially at nite.
I put mentholated shoe powder in shoes.
This was more effective than anything ...and i tried evereything! Except Ivermectin...
I also put down a Fluted plastic panel on the floor wher I rest my feet and from my bed to the stairs.
The quarter inch "Coroplast" plastic is about 15.00 for a 4x8' sheet.
The mites hate this and cannot sense your footsteep vibrations or temperature etc.
The citrus and the coroplast plastic put an almost immeadiate stop to most all attacks.
These 2 things were very easy cherap and caused the firtst major relief in over a year.
Thet were almost done here...then I let my cat ouit of her enclosure...who klnew...she is the main carrier...it seems...
I will try sulfer dips for her and hope to save her.
But its been so hard...
I know she may have to go...
But will keep trying.
I tjhink she is the last holdout for them.
Shes now running free again and I am covered with the mights agin.
But my health nis better so they are much lest on me and smaller.
A Penn Stae coop has sked me to grow them in numbers on me and come back...Yup. Thats what the regular doctors said.
And then rejected me as a mental defective!
The original DRs wanted me to come in covered with them, and visible.
Then would not examine them closely as needed!!
Theve never puled one off! EVER!
And look at me as If I have the plaque. Disgraceful.
Penn State now has a shot.
But I cant grow them as large now im healthy. Ironic and agravating!
Very degrading and humliating
Post a Comment