Monday, October 12, 2009

Taking care of cats II

Always follow label directions and if you have any doubts or questions talk to a qualified veterinarian or a pest control operator.

We now have a kitten along with the adult cat. This poses challenges as I cannot use the same chemicals or doses for the adult cat and the kitten. We had a three pronged approach with the adult cat in addition to treating our own environment.

We would wash him once a month with Sergeant's Gold Flea and Tick Shampoo for Cats and Kittens (which contains insect growth regulator), put Frontline Plus on him the day after, and then give him Heartguard (Ivermectin) about a week before his bath when the effects of the bath and Frontline were wearing off. This worked just fine. We even had an infestation from an abandoned bird nest and while the cat was bitten often, it was clear they were not thriving on him. I almost suspect that the pesticide regime on the cat did away the infestation from the entire apartment.

Now, with the kitten, things are much more difficult. We cannot use the Sergeant's Gold as it is for cats 8 months and older. We used Sergeant's Skip Flea that requires that it be used every two weeks. It has no insect growth regulator and I suspect that the pyrethrins do not have a residual effect, or it is a weak repellant effect. The vet prescribed 3 doses (over 3 months) of kitten Revolution and then moving on to adult revolution.

However, kitten revolution is for cats under 5.1 lb. The dosage is 1/3 that of the adult dose for cats from 5.1 lb. to 15 lb. It turns out that our kitten has grown so rapidly in the last two weeks since we gave him a kitten dose that he may be 6 lb (we weighed him and he was either over 5 lb. or over 6 lb., even though we had a result of just over 3 lb., that would mean he hasn't grown in over a month, which is visibly not true--over 5 lb. is the most likely weight). He is very itchy and it appears he does not have enough Revolution in his sytem to be of any use.

I am now looking forward to his next bath and very much looking forward to his next dose, which will probably be the adult dose per his weight. The annoying thing is that he makes us humans itchy and the mites seem to survive on him enough that even the adult cat is more itchy. When we gave him his kitten dose, we did not realize he had grown so much and that the kitten dose was so inadequate for the situation, but we are afraid of giving him more as we do not want to poison him.

The increased itchiness may be the result of rodents moving into the building as the weather cools and the fact that the last time we washed the adult cat, we accidently used the Sergeant's Skip Flea, which as I described has limited benefits. We washed the adult with Gold a couple days ago, and I hope it helps us and the environment--and the kitten. The adult is still on his old regime as it seemed to work and we have a number of doses left of his medicines.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever consider that these might not be mites at all? I can't speak for everyone who has written comments here and on other blogs but I do want you to know what recently happened to me and my husband, both of us were suffering for several weeks now, but here's the good news.

I never believed my husband and I might have something living on us like a parasite (or Morgellons, but we didn't) because we did not have any open sores or lesions, only crawling, biting, and stinging sensations, at times producing small red welts that itched a bit and lasted about 24 hours. My husband began getting bumps on his head too. Well, as it turned out, we did have a parasite, because both of us have some form of fungus – he a foot fungus and I a systemic yeast infection since April.

If any of you are experiencing intestinal yeast or any type of fungus, or maybe you don’t know you have intestinal yeast (diagnosed with IBS, acid reflux, and any number of "syndromes" which are merely symptoms of yeast), you might be a target too. There's good reason the whole Probiotic (“Activia challenge” commercials, etc.) industry has ramped up; lots of people are battling yeast, but they are not told they are.

One of the BIGGEST mistakes my husband and I made was to continue using chemicals. As it turns out, these parasites feed on both fungus and chemicals, because it is their job to eat and turn over the bad to make good. If your body is out of balance, you could be a target because you harbor what they eat, mainly fungus but also other toxins in your system that you ingest or inhale. The key is to bring your body back to a natural balanced state.

Now again, I am not diagnosing everyone as having a parasite but it may behoove you to at least give this a shot.

Remove all chemicals, pesticides, food with preservatives, genetically modified foods, creams, lotions, detergents etc. from your life and eat only organic foods (a strict Candida diet is best to follow), preferably vegetarian, but free range chicken raised using no hormones and no antibiotics is OK, and use only pure soaps, lotions, on your body. Make sure there is no build up of water or mold in your bathroom, kitchen, basement, wherever you spend any time.

Eat LOTS of raw organic garlic, raw organic almonds, and perhaps pop a few activated charcoal tablets (great filter remedy) and within time (depending how long it’s been going on for you) perhaps like me, your problem will be close to being resolved. For me it was overnight, I’m absolutely astounded at how quickly I got this under control. I am now 100% rid of this thing and I promised to go back over the boards and post what I discovered.

Try it; you’ve got nothing to lose. Permethrin, Cedarcide, Sevin-05, Windex, Bleach, all these things merely exacerbated the problem for us. You may even consider taking food grade diatomaceous earth to take internally, which eradicates parasites but is also great for your bones and joints.
I hope you all find this information helpful but especially successful because I was where you all are for a good 6 weeks thinking there was no end in sight. Early detection is key, but it’s possible you may be on the road to recovery once you get your body balanced and by all means, dump the heavy metals!

Get Rid of Bed Bugs said...

Thats really good!