Monday, February 22, 2010

Hot Shot Bug Bomb Info.

Always follow label directions and if you have any doubts or questions discuss them with a qualified veterinarian or a pest control operator.

Hot Shot has come out with a bug bomb that contains perethrins and the Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) Nylar. It is in a purple box and is labeled for Bed Bugs and Fleas. The Perethrins are a contact killer for mites (as long as they are not immune) and the Nylar helps keep them from reproducing. It seems to help a bit from our experience.

Right now, the best things seem to be the Borax and salt mixture on the floor and especially along the edges and corners. I use Cedarcide cedar oil and saline solution every night on myself. During the day, any crawling or itching can be helped with hand sanitizer. I still soak the bedding with the witch hazel and a few drops of tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil mixture every now and then. Diatomaceous earth is also a good treatment for the environment.

I usually vacuum once every two weeks with a hepa filter vacuum. I waited about three weeks last time and the cats and people got a lot more itchy. Cats are due for Revolution again in about 5 days.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why salt? What does it do?

sijagur said...

visit and read here.. nice post,, greetings from Indonesia..

Loviatar said...

I use table salt--apparently a lot of bugs don't like salt. One thing you can do is mix epsom salt--1/3 salt and 2/3 hot water, mix it well, and spray everything, including yourself (don't burn yourself). Spray bedding, carpets etc. This worked for someone I know for relief and one lady got rid of her mites with epsom salt mixture. I don't do this as it is very messy and wet.

Anonymous said...

When I am in a room with people say at a table, I can see them itching, rubbing, swating. I know it is me. I have experienced this too often. I have lost job opportunities due to it. Is this the invisable biting mite? What can I do to get rid of them. I puff dusted my carpet, couch,chairs,bed etc 5 days ago and no releif yet. I seen this same behavior today? I need all the feedback I can get.

marika said...

i have this problem for one year now,i dont live with any pets or animals. i changed 3 houses i sprayed for fleas and beg bugs and they dont die,i am not really sure what they are?ok mites but from what or where as the place it started one year ago was this really clean and nice house where the other girl was living for one year without any problems and sudennly we started to feel kind of little biting not even just like a kind of allergy during the day under the clothes and then it started during the night a lot so i was thinking is a flea as well in boyfriends house there were just treating bedbugs so we mislead it for some bugs and sprayed and washed and went even through scabies treatment,we moved out from there and with precautious arrangements,like washing everything up 60 degree and anyway in the new house i could still feel occasional bites during night but only few and nothing during the day so it was liveable,as well i continued to wash and vacuum really regularly and seemed to be under control somehow so i never felt anything during the day,always i was using 60 degree to wash any clothes. Then suddenly it started again so we treated place for bedbugs still no idea is not them really and cos i went for holiday to my country i sprayed my bags and clothes then wash everything and kept it on the garden closed in black bags just to realize that i brought it with me home as well,nobody else is not feeling anything,even if we slept in the same bed,is just me and my boyfriend who felt it,after return back i sprayed the place again btw from 6 people living there only the 2 of us could feel it and now after split up i moved to a new place and all the nightmare started again but first only the night now as well during the day i can feel it crawl on my skin,biting specially on feet but anywhere really the back,arm but i can never see anything and there are no marks on my body not even the skin seems iritated,now i can feel them even in my head i mean hair sometimes and i cant take it anymore,just washing and cleaning i dont feel to live anymore,btw my ex can still feel a bit too none of the new housemates nor my housemates thats why is it this mites really or can it be some parazit living on us or even in????

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, have you tired spaying your living area with windex, it helping me get rid of my problem, also LISTERINE, use this before you shower it makes the mites release from your skin, but it doesn't kill them. you will need to spray windex or bleach in the tub to kill them. hope thiis helps.

Catyanna said...

Lovitar...

I don't know if you remember me. I wrote you a few months ago about my possible rat mite problem. I ended up moving and was fine for a few months, then the itching started again. I feel horrible. My boyfriend isn't getting bit at all. The cats are scratching and I can't afford to keep buying Revolution. I put out glue traps, but so far I don't see anything. The bites itch so much and are mainly on my neck, chest and back. Any advice you could give me? I talked to a mite expert and he said that if I moved then that would get rid of them. Boy, was he wrong. Please help!

Anonymous said...

Marika, don't despair. You can and will get rid of these things. Here's what I did. Got heavy painters plastic(drop cloth) covered my mattress with it using packing tape. Steam cleaned my carpets. The first time I did it 3 times each room then as needed. I crushed mothballs into the carpets especially around my sofa and my bed. I put moth crystals all over on my sofa and in my bed when I wasn't in it. I sprayed ecosmart organic weed and grass killer on my mattress and sofa and on myself everytime I felt a bite. I ordered Dr. Bronners peppermint soap and sulfer soap called Azufre off of the internet. I used this for my baths, showers and shampoos. I used the Dr. Bronners in my laundry as well. For the dryer I used Bounce orange fabric softener. I also put them in my shoes and socks to wear both day and night. when I got out of the bath/shower I would cover myself with Gold Bond maximum strength (blue container). I would put it in my shoes and socks as well. Especially at night. I steam ironed my cloths before putting them on. I kept my clothes in separate ziplock bags with moth crystals in them. I washed everyday and replaced my clothing, bedding, towels etc. about every 3 months so don't buy expensive. A big help if you can afford it is a dehumidifier for your bedroom and bathroom. These bugs start off very tiny and clear or white. You can tell when the light hits them a certain way they glimmer. As they grow they look like tiny black specks or dots. You can see them mostly where there is moisture. Around your kitchen sink or bathroom floor. You know it's them because they hop when you disturb them. They like the humidity and are very comfortable in water as I have witnessed them swimming in my tub in still water. Tiger balm was also very helpful at night. I also read about a lady who somehow melted some menthol in her room. Anything menthol or sulfer is good. Hope this helps and God bless.

Anonymous said...

Vicks vapour rub is also very useful.

Some supermarkets have 'homebrand' versions of it which are cheaper.

It is the only thing I have found which repeals mites.

Anonymous said...

I had these mites in my apartment and I got rid of them...Talspar or a bifen insectacide is your friend. YOU HAVE TO WIPE DOWN EVERYTHING JUST ABOUT WITH THE INSECTACIDE. Anyone having this problem email me, I think I can help.(vickie715@hotmail.com)

Get Rid of Bed Bugs said...

Visit the link to get informed.

marika said...

these are not bedugs...bedbugs will be my dream if i cant change these creature for them

Anonymous said...

HELP>>>My boyfriend and I are getting bit by some invisible bug or mite...we get a mosquito like welt mostly on our legs and feet, but ive had them on my neck and arms too! They have completely invaded our bedroom and we are forced to sleep in a different room (which we do not experience any itching or bites) Desperate to get rid of this problem, can feel them on us in our bed or walking on the carpet. It really starts to happen at night around 9pm..dont really get bit during the day. Its not bed bugs. Please give any suggestions. email is fought2long4dis@aol.com

Natural deodorant said...

Hi,,,

Nice blog and great information.
Thanks for sharing

Essays said...

I visit this and really you have done a great effort.
Thanks for sharing this useful information

Anonymous said...

This is horrible,,1 year now fighting these invisible bugs. I have ran out my medical insurance for the year.The Drs. really didn't help much anyway. Most just plain told me i have "Delusional Parasites" Now all I can do is deal with this on my own. Yes they bite at nite.I suffer in silence.Aug 2011 my kids let a stray manged,mite infested cat into our home.We didn't see anything on the animal, But now its too late.

Anonymous said...

This has been the year from HELL.I have been fighting to get rid of them. here are some ideas that has helped. mix some dawn dish soap in a spray bottle with water. spray your bedding before you get in.Also i have slept with it in my hair.. Shower with Dr Bronners Magic soap (Lavender) smells good. Use it as a body wash twice a day. shampoo with reg shampoo an conditioner after 10minutes, Rack your hair with a lice comb while conditioner is on.Rinse,Rinse,Rinse out these monsters down the drain...wash your bedding and clothes twice before using again..it helps. spray bug stop around your bed before getting in...it helps tooo. Make a spray bottle with water an bleach also,,alternate each night,,,You have to clean, spray and take internal pesticides if you want to get some relief,,it takes time to get ride of these,,I see some change in the amount of bites,,but I still suffer,,,,Don"t give up it will get better

Anonymous said...

This is so horrible dealing with,,,,,Now I see dandruff in my 10yr daughter,,,,,,,,,,,,,I cant breath thinking that this is going to be on her next. The drs don't believe me...How am I going to help my Daughter,,,Jesus ,God Please find a cure,,,Hopeless in NJ

Anonymous said...

I feel as tho the Epson salt an water in the spray bottle has had some effect on the mites in my bedroom.
I still change my sheets an blankets everynite. I have been dealing with this crawling an biting for over a year. lately I have had some relief,,I don't understand this at all,,,,,maybe they are dying off..I also by bug bombs from the dollar store(6pk)this helps twice a week,,slowly I feel better

Anonymous said...

I just want to say that if you keep fighting these invisible bugs,,You will have relief.............I have good days and bad,,,I don't know if these will always be around me. But I do know I will not give up...........

Anonymous said...

I had these mites for about 1.5 years. It is a problem with your immune system, but the mites help destroy any immunity you might have. Definitely reduce humidity. Wash clothing & bedding in hot 140F water. Dry to maximum dryness. Daily vacuum & daily change bedsheets. I know, it's exhausting, but you have to do it. Use masking tape to pick up any mites on the mattress cover before putting the new sheets on bed.

Things that are NOT helpful: mothballs, medical doctors, most insecticides.

Get a nit comb and comb them out of hair after showering. Helpful: concentrated oregano oil 2-3 drops under tongue before bed, bleach (bath & laundry) (whites), epsom salts (bath & laundry), borax, adequate sleep, dehumidifier, all clothing, bedding, & towels in individual ziplock bags when stored. Most helpful of all were 2 immune formulas from a company called NuSkin (worldwide & on web). You have to take a 2-week drug holiday from it before getting back on it, but it works. Takes a few months to completely eradicate them, but they will go away if you take this stuff. Be sure to consume probiotics while taking it--either in capsules or yogurt or kefir. Vacuum your car 2-3X week. Wipe down the dashboard, center console, gearshift & steering wheel with alcohol or Listerine. You can get menthol crystals online (beekeepers use them). Melt the crystals using a metal measuring cup on top of a coffee cup warmer. It really does calm the mites. Nylar is helpful. Can buy it online (Amazon). Use exactly as directed. More can be dangerous. Spray it on the floors in bathrooms, bedrooms.

brussellsprout said...

I sprinkled DE all over my carpet and it killed my vacuum cleaner when I tried to clean it up a couple weeks later. My replacement vacuum cleaner is now on life support, thanks to the DE. Would I get better results with a HEPA filter?

What kind of shoes do you recommend for someone suffering from biting mite hell? I've been wearing flip-flops around the house, and occasionally some old, banged-up leather tennis shoes. I have a pair of suede shoes that I usually wear in the winter, but they're probably severely infested by now. As far as tennis shoes are concerned, is leather a better option than cotton fabric?

Lately I've been stuffing my tennis shoes full of dryer sheets and spraying them down with alcohol, then storing them in a zip-lock bag. I was thinking about buying a cheap pair of sneakers to replace my old leather tennis shoes, but then I'd still have to put them in a bag, wouldn't I? I'm also checking into washable shoes. I think there might be some available on the Internet.

As far as the car goes, I steam-cleaned it today and then sprayed it down with Kleen Free and water. I was using 91-percent rubbing alcohol, but I think it might be damaging the interior of my car. How about a 50-50 mix of alcohol and water? Would that be any safer? I'm not sure it's a good idea to have all that water soaking into the fabric, either.

Lately, after I've sprayed everything, I've started putting garbage bags over the driver's seat to provide an extra layer of protection. But then I have to change the bags every time I use the car and probably spray again each time. Any suggestions?

Also, is it necessary to spray the entire interior of the car for short trips, or can you get by with just spraying the driver's area?